Donald Trump. Gunnery Sergeant of Marines. Just the thought makes me cringe.
Usually, I don’t like to deal in hypotheticals as it relates to sociological perspectives from a racial standpoint (e.g., what do you think would happen if Barack Obama said/did the same things Trump is saying/doing? We know the answer to that), partly because a simple romp through history shows us the clear response every time.
But allow me to have a little fun at the expense of Gunny T, along with the added purpose of making a point. We’ve got Marines who fully back 45, claiming that he is their kind of leader. Need I remind you, Devil Dog, that the Corps is built on the core values of honor, courage, and commitment – which are clearly not on display from your Gunny. Don’t get me wrong: no Marine is perfect. But damn son…
Hypothetically, let’s look at what your leader exhibits as it pertains to the standards of the Marine Corps. I want to show you how absurd and hypocritical you sound in backing this payaso. Let’s say ol’ Gunny was due for a Fitness report (or Fitrep – in short, an evaluation system used by the Marine Corps which provides a summary of accomplishments). Below are some of the applicable bullets submitted for review:
Marine Reported On:
TRUMP, DONALD GYSGT
– Under investigation for accusations of conspiring with the Russians.
– Fired the Staff Sergeant who was in charge of the investigation.
– Stirs up discord amongst his troops through racially motivated hate speech.
– Adamant about refusing Marines from Haiti, Africa, or Latin America into his platoon. Prefers white Marines (particularly from Norway).
– Growth potential greatly limited by his inability to express his words and thoughts in a professional and coherent manner.
– Instigated a Twitter war with the wife of a fallen American soldier over her husband’s remains.
– Comes off as childish to his peers and subordinates.
– Hasn’t passed a PFT since 1998.
– While on assignment and in front of troops, taunted a handicapped man.
– Encouraged troops to assault any Black Marines who attended his pass down. Added that he would pay for a civilian lawyer to assist them in getting out of the brig if they were convicted by UCMJ.
– Spends an exorbitant amount of time on the base golf course.
– Numerous equal opportunity complaints filed against him this reporting period. This continues a trend from previous reporting periods.
– Fails to extend the same courtesies to Muslim Marines as he does white Marines.
– Grabbed a lance corporal by her pussy.
Please point out the bullets that you don’t think are true…or, rather, the ones you think don’t seem realistic according to our hypothetical situation. Are these the great qualities to which you are referring when speaking of leadership – in any realm, not just the Corps? If so, you might want to re-calibrate your moral compass.
According to Headquarters Marine Corps http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/hrom/New-Employees/About-the-Marine-Corps/Values/, honor is defined thusly:
This is the bedrock of our character. It is the quality that empowers Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior: to never lie, cheat, or steal; to abide by an uncompromising code of integrity; to respect human dignity; and to have respect and concern for each other. It represents the maturity, dedication, trust, and dependability that commit Marines to act responsibly, be accountable for their actions, fulfill their obligations, and hold others accountable for their actions.
Courage and commitment come next in the Corps’ ethos, respectively, but I don’t think I need to go any further. Do you honestly think the Marine Corps would look upon that type of leadership example favorably or tolerate a track record displaying such biases?
Then why do you?